The Honda Tarneo has claimed the top spot of car thefts in NZ according to AA Insurance, saying that although the probability of the Honda Torneos being stolen is far higher than any other car there are no more of them on the road than any other vehicle.
The top 10 list is based on AA insurance's data:
- Honda Torneo
- Mazda Familia
- Subaru Impreza
- Mitsubishi Libero
- Nissan Safari
- Honda Integra
- Subaru Forester
- Nissan Stagea
- Mazda Atenza
- Mazda Premacy
The data reveals 92% of theft claims for models in the top 10 list were for cars manufactured more than 10 years ago, with the average value of a stolen vehicle claim from the top 10 list is $5120.
"Thieves will always go for the easiest, fastest option," says the AA. Despite vehicle theft remaining a concern, the figures have been relatively consistent over the past three years.
Common sense ways to prevent your car being stolen:
- Keep track of ALL your car keys, and don't hide the spare key on the car, like under the wheel well.
- Lock it at all times – even in your driveway
- Park in well lit areas near building entrances, in parking garages near other cars and close to security cameras if possible
- Don't leave valuables in your car – especially if they can be seen
- Use an anti-theft devices like immobilizers
- Don't leave your car running
- Don't leave your car with the keys in it (especially don't leave it running) - even if you are only a few metres away (like in a petrol station when paying)